Latest News / Shell LiveWIRE International publishes its Top 10 Tips on Road Safety for young entrepreneurs
Ensuring that young entrepreneurs adopt sound policies to ensure health and safety in all aspects of their businesses is a top priority for Shell LiveWIRE International. In order to promote best practice with regard to business travel, the programme has developed 10 top tips covering road safety.
Good employers ensure that their staff are encouraged to be safe while travelling to and from work and also when travelling on business. The following ten tips are a starting point to help reduce risks and keep staff safe while travelling by road.
Roadworthiness: Where staff are required to travel by road - this could be to deliver a product, attend a meeting, meet customers, or be simply driving to and from work, you must ensure that the company vehicle they use is roadworthy and is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. You must ensure that it:
˃ has tyres with a tread that exceeds any minimum legal limit
˃ has the appropriate insurance, road tax and other documentation
Licence to drive: Ensure that the driver has received the necessary training and has a valid licence. You should retain a copy of this.
Seat belts: Before a vehicle moves off, the driver and all passengers must wear seat belts. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that they do.
Mobile phones: Have a policy that bans the use of mobile phones by the driver, unless the vehicle is parked safely.
Contact: Ensure that the driver has a mobile phone for use in an emergency. It’s also good practice to ensure drivers call in to verify all is well, especially if they are travelling late.
Safety helmets: Where a motor bike or a bicycle is being used, have a policy that requires safety helmets to be worn. This may be a legal requirement.
Daily checks: Train your drivers to complete a daily check to ensure that:
˃ all lights are functioning correctly
˃ tyres, including the spare, are inflated to the correct pressure
˃ all wheel nuts on commercial vehicles are tight
Driving hours: Monitor and limit the time spent driving on business for the safety of the driver and other road users. There may be legal limits governing this.
Emergency equipment: Each vehicle should carry:
˃ a fire extinguisher
˃ hazard warning equipment
˃ a well equipped first aid box, with drivers receiving at least basic first aid instruction for their own use or if they come across scene of an accident
Driving standards: Develop a Courteous Driver policy incorporating the tips listed here and provide training for drivers in accident prevention and driver courtesy. It’s good practice to encourage your drivers to undertake advanced driver training.
- Shell LiveWIRE Indonesia rewards its outstanding young entrepreneurs
- Innovation to combat harmful algae wins top Shell LiveWIRE Netherlands award
- Shell Iniciativa Jovem entrepreneurs rewarded for innovation and growth
- Game-changing fashion app founder is 2014 Shell LiveWIRE UK Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- Developing bright business ideas online
- First 100 young entrepreneurs generate Bright Ideas through Shell Entreprendre
- Shell LiveWIRE Netherlands announces its final four
- New Shell LiveWIRE South Africa launches to power young entrepreneurs
- Shell Tameer campaign raises US $50,000 to support young entrepreneurs
- Revised Shell LiveWIRE South Africa programme launches
- Brazilian LiveWIRE companies shine at leading international tech gathering
- Shell Intilaaqah Oman signs MoU to boost support for young Omani entrepreneurs
- Shell LiveWIRE Netherlands launches pilot mentoring programme
- Shell Intilaaqah Oman signs MoU with Haya Water to boost SMEs
- Shell Tameer campaign is building enterprising futures during Ramazan
- New Shell LiveWIRE programme launches in Gabon
- Shell Iniciativa Jovem wins prestigious award for sustainable entrepreneurship
- Shell LiveWIRE Nigeria rewards 180 young entrepreneurs living with disabilities
- Shell InventaGIOVANI celebrates entrepreneurial success
- Shell Intilaaqah Oman celebrates the graduation of 183 young Omani entrepreneurs
- Shell Eco-marathon fuels Dutch LiveWIREs with high performance innovation
- Brazilian LiveWIREs receive prestigious Sustainable Development Seal